Thursday, January 20, 2011

Immortality: Uncovered

"This blog post is dedicated to Grammy Chapman, who passed away January, 18th 2011."

 The slogan of the musical we are trying to get to Broadway is, "Do You Want To Live Forever." Well, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. You don't need vampire blood to become Immortal . I've been told that living a life full of good works can be partially to blame for eternal life. Now, if cooking AMAZING tuna fish sandwiches is also on the checklist for immortality, then my Grandma Chapman has it in the bag. I'm sure she is bouncing from cloud to cloud now, wearing white pajama's and eating nothing but marshmallows ( that's how I've envisioned heaven since I was 5.) I'm sure HER idea of eternal glory looked a little bit different. So, whether it involves: flowers, ponies, glitter or infinite bright sunny days, I know she is "living the life", and getting rewarded for her countless good deeds. In remembrance of her life, I have made a list of my top ten favorite things she did, which has earned her the title of, "BEST GRANDMA EVER!".

1. She lived with us off and on for most of my childhood, just to help raise me while my mom worked the long hours of a single parent.

2. When I was in 2nd grade, I had a rather embarrassing moment. I peed my pants while working as a helper at the lunch salad bar. I was brought into the office, where I called my mom asking her to bring me new pants. However, she was at work, and couldn't leave. I was about to be given the school's designated stretch pants, which was given to all kids who've had an accident. Meaning, every kid that saw me that day would know what I had done! Just in time, my grandma walked through the door with a fresh pair of pants. She had walked a good 2 miles just to bring them to me!

3. Besides making the best tuna fish sandwiches on the planet! She could also make a mean bowl of oatmeal, as well as an incredible pineapple upside down cake.

4. She would always think of the most creative games. My favorite was, The Three Little Pigs. She played the wolf, and would blow down little blanket obstacles I created to keep her out. She could also keep you on your toes with a long game of hot and cold.

5. I loved how she pronounced favorite, "FAVOR-IGHT", and how she called pancakes, "HOTCAKES".  Every morning you would wake up the smell of some good ol' (hotcakes), and hear her yell, "COME AND GET IT!"

6. Watching Lawrence Welk with her was always a good time:)

7. She was the perfect example of an amazing wife and mother. You couldn't find two people more in love than my grandparents. It wasn't often you found them not holding hands.

8. She had HUNDREDS of glass plates in her basement she had ordered from some magazine. They all featured some kind of random picture, for example: kittens, angels, and playing children. It was always a surprise to see which one you would get for your birthday (my favorite was a bald eagle plate, haha.) Entering her basement in general was like a treasure hunt.

9. She helped me get my first car. I can't imagine what I would have done in college without her help.

10. She had every single grandma necessity: loveable, huggable, quirky, and she always kept you fed. She had the typical grandma smell of musky floral, and told the best "back in my day" stories.

I couldn't have hand picked a better grandma. To me, she was perfect, and I thank God for putting her in my life.

Love you grammy!

No comments: